You must have heard the word ëSEOí bandied about by anyone and everyone connected with the Internet. Whether you are a business owner, a professional individual or a budding entrepreneur, SEO marketing can expand your reach and network of potential customers and clients. While there are professionals in the field of SEO who can give your business a competitive edge, there are also several things you can do yourself to get you started in this rewarding path.
What Is SEO?
SEO is Search Engine Optimization. The goal of SEO marketing is to get your website to rank high in the search results of search engines such as Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.
Why is it important to rank high in search engine results?
When people look for something on the Internet, they use search engines. When they type in the product or service they are looking for, the search engine returns a number of results that are relevant to the search. The websites which show up in these results have words or phrases that match with those used in the search. It is human nature to pay attention to what appears on the first page of search engine results and sometimes even to just the top few entries on the first page. Businesses, products or services that feature on the top of search engine results are more likely to have visitors and buyers than others. It is now a well-known fact that online shopping is preferred by most people. Even if they donít buy from a particular website, they would still use the information to know more or visit the retail store of that particular business.
What are the different kinds of search results?
There are two kinds of search results-paid and organic. Paid search results are those found at the top or right side of search result page (in Google). Organic results are those that are not paid, and come up naturally based on relevance to the search as well as other factors that search engines use to rank websites. These are based on algorithms that determine which websites rank first and which come later.
How do search engines determine the rankings?
- ëSpidersí are a software tool used by search engines to ëcrawlí the Internet and gather data about web content, including keywords, which are then used to match the keywords used by searchers and come up with relevant websites.
- Search engines also judge a website by the number of links it has with other relevant websites. Websites linked to another that has a good page ranking will get a higher ranking.
- If you update your content regularly, ëspidersí will also crawl through and collect data from your website regularly. If there have not been any updates for a long time, your website could be overlooked by spiders.
What are some simple strategies for successful SEO marketing?
- Write content with keywords and marketing in mind, but keep it engaging and interesting.
- Update content regularly.
- Link or try to get other websites linked to you.
- Add videos to your website.